Thank you everyone who took the time out to pledge and help Syiim reach its goal on Kickstarter. As goods are purchased and swimsuits are being sewn, there is a heart-felt appreciation that each and every one of you helped to make this happen with your selfless and considerate support. Syiim thanks YOU!
Archive for May, 2012
As you all know Syiim is a company that finds unique ways to give back! A runway show isn’t complete without accessories, and I think you’ll be happy to know that through the small purchase of a few accessories for the show, Syiim swimwear is giving back!
Items such as hats, bangles, earrings and bags have to be purchased or burrowed to help create a complete look for the runway. For Syiim swimwear the decision was made, that the majority of our accessories will not only accentuate the line, but will also support a good cause. Below is a brief list of how our debut collection is giving back:
- Hats- Straw hats provide income to the local Jamaican market as they are purchased at the craft market and then decorated or hand dyed to collaborate with the collection
- Bangles- Apart from the wooden bangles that are being dyed in house, we’re also accessorizing with clay bangles that are carved with positive messages and whose proceeds provide Africans with clean drinking water.
- Bags- The handmade straw bags in the collection are either from the local Jamaican craft market or are made by refugee ladies from a little village in the western interior of Madura, a small island in Indonesia. These ladies live with no electricity, no running water, and no paved roads. Each family must carry their own water to their home. Syiim’s purchase of these bags helped to provided income to this community.
Whether you’re at the beach or laying out by the pool it’s a good idea to protect your skin and lips with SPF protection. Before heading out under the sun and UV rays it’s a good idea to work on some sunscreen and lip balm. And what better way to do it than using a product that is made of the highest quality natural and organic ingredients and free of harsh chemicals.
After much searching we found LAVANILA. A brand dedicated to providing high-end products that are 100% good for you. Their products contain no petrochemicals, Phthalates, propylene glycol, mineral oils, silicone, synthetic dyes, sulphates or parabens. They have a Sun Care SPF collection that features a sunscreen body cream, face cream and lip balm. Unlike traditional sunscreens that use harsh chemicals, LAVANILA products are infused with superior components of minerals, anti-oxidants and shea butter that not only protects but also soothes and hydrates. Their Healthy Lip Screen SPF30 is a must-have for daily use, and is our new addition to our bags! It contains a superior complex of vitamins and essential organic oils to provide powerful protection. We only wish it came as a stick!
Happy Cinco de Mayo! Today we share a fun recipe with you for what is now known as the famous Beer-garita! We’re not sure who was the first person to think of combining ice-cold beer and tequila, perhaps a tipsy fellow made an accidental spill of one onto the other, or a nearly finished glass of margarita was reused to have a beer, whichever it may be the Beer-garita has made its way around to Mexican pubs and restaurants and have become a popular drink on menus. The combination of the two may sound a bit odd but if you’re a fan of tequila or tangy drinks, you’ll find this cocktail delightful! Unlike the Sangria, another favorite of ours, to whip up a good Beer-garita is quick and easy! Follow the below instructions and enjoy!
- 8 oz. tequila
- (2) – 12 oz. beers. ( use a light beer or corona )
- 2 oz. orange juice
- 1 can frozen limeade concentrate
- 8 wedges Lime
- 1/2 Cup salt
- a Pitcher half full of ice cubes
- Fill pitcher half way up with ice.
- Slowly pour beer over the ice. It will foam up so a slow pour is essential.
- Add tequila, orange juice and frozen lime aid.
- Stir well to blend all ingredients.
- Pour salt out on to a small plate.
- Take a lime wedge and rub it around the rim of the glasses.
- Dip glasses upside down into the salt plate to coat the rim.
- Pour drink into glass and garnish with a wedge of lime!
Makes 4 cocktails